Isn’t diapering as much a part of parenting as feeding?
Rather, it may even seem like an ever-lasting task to most of the new parents. You get down to change one and the next and next and it goes on… Changing your child’s diaper is no less than managing to win a battle. Isn’t?
Do you also find yourself in sheer haste while changing your toddler’s diaper? If your answer is nothing but YES, then relax, before it turns into a major tug-of-war between you and your baby.
Don’t be worried! It is common with all the babies. It is because your little bundle of joy hates the concept of getting undressed. The moment he is taken to the changing table he starts wailing, which is the only way he knows to respond when he feels uncomfortable on being exposed.
Let us have a quick look at some of the tips to win a diaper changing battle with your toddler:
- Payal Raghuvanshi-Mukund says, “Give any toy or any item to your child to play with while changing his diaper. It could be a comb, powder box or a steel vessel too that keeps him entertained for those 2-3 mins of diaper changing activity”.
- Nirali Amin Shah suggests, “Take your toddler to the washroom after regular intervals. This will reduce diaper usage and your toddler will soon learn the correct way to attend to nature’s call”
- Show your child the advertisements in which the babies are shown happily getting their diapers changed. Children tend to imitate what other kids do and might learn a lesson from this.
- If your toddler hates to get his diaper changed on the table, take him to the washroom and let him stand while you clean him. Using pant style diapers will make it even easier for you to change while your toddler is standing.
- If your child cries inconsolably during his diaper change, do check if he has developed a diaper rash which is making him irritable.
- Put on some music or sing a rhyme that your toddler loves while changing his diaper. This will divert his attention and make diapering easy for you.
So, you see, there are many ways which can help make diaper changing easy and fun for you and your child too.
We thank all the Mommies of our community for sparing their precious time to give their valuable responses:
Payal Raghuvanshi-Mukund, Neha Trikha Agarwal, Nirali Amin Shah, Arpita Dey, Neha Singla Johri, Manali Langer, Felicita Dsouza, Iffat Alia, Akhila Garimella, Oksana Mishra, Neetu Kundra Tripathi, Hajra Attari, Linu Sanjib Boro, Azima Anjum, Jas Saini, Tabassum Patel, Nisha Verma, Shabnam Desai, Rutu Ayachi, Sasmita Patel, Amreen Siraj, Prerna Sharma, Theeswari Bala, Mita Savaliya, Nidhi Chandnani, Priyanka Saurabh Khanna and Padmaja Giri