Mommy Nidhi Karan Garg’s six month old baby is fair but her legs got tanned due to the exposure to sun to prevent jaundice when the baby newborn…so what does she do now?
Yes, about 60 percent of full-term babies have a yellowish cast to their skin called Jaundice. In fact, virtually most of newborn babies have slight traces of Jaundice, but it is not always noticeable. If your baby is full-term and healthy, mild symptoms of Jaundice is nothing to worry about.
As our elders have been suggesting, the normal trend followed to cure jaundice is placing your baby under sunlight, but direct sunlight on a naked baby can sometimes tan your baby’s body. So what about the tanning then..? Here are some home remedies suggested by our expert moms.
- The most commonly used remedy for sun tan is the mixture of besan (Bengal gram powder) with malai (Fresh cream), that works wonders on the tanned skin.
- Take some fresh milk and add a pinch of turmeric powder and mix well. Apply this mixture to the tanned part of body and allow it to dry, wipe it off with a soft cotton cloth.
- Clean the tanned area with lukewarm water and apply fresh coconut water all over and leave it to dry. After half an hour you can wash with normal water.
- Apply orange juice mixed with yogurt to cure suntan. Orange’s alpha hydroxyl acid, vitamin C help in fading suntan and yogurt’s lactic acid lightens the tanned skin.
- A mixture of Barley, yoghurt and turmeric in equal amounts is also a natural and safe remedy to cure suntan.
- A mixture of Kaju (Cashew nut) powder with a pinch of turmeric, milk and coconut oil can be used to massage the baby before bath, which reduces the tanning on the baby’s body.
- A mixture of kesar strands (Saffron strands) with fresh cream is also a good option for baby’s soft skin.
- Massaging your baby with coconut oil everyday before bath can help you get rid of the tanning problem.
- Raw milk or milk cream can also be used for treating sun tanned skin. Take small amount of fresh milk in a bowl and add a pinch of turmeric and some lemon juice to it.
- Lemon is great for curing sun tanned skin due to its natural bleach properties. You can simply apply some fresh lemon juice on the affected skin area and allow it to dry before washing the area with water.
- Cucumber juice also helps a lot in reducing sun tan. It has got cooling effect that soothes skin and help in curing suntan. Also the Vitamin C present in cucumber will help in keeping the skin moisturized.
- You can also use Aloe Vera gel for treating sun tanned skin. Aloe Vera gel will lighten the skin within a week, if applied daily to the affected area. It also helps to cleanse and nourish the skin.
- For treating sun tanned skin you can prepare a mixture of oatmeal powder and buttermilk. While the oats will help in ex-foliating the skin, butter milk will soothe the skin.
- For mild tanned skin, rub peeled potato skin on the affected area or raw potato juice for fast relief.
- Apply yoghurt before bath; curd is a powerful anti tanning agent for baby’s skin. Few drops of lemon juice can be added to yoghurt to give better results.
So now we can continue with the sunlight treatment, as prescribed by the doctors, the above remedies are for your rescue to make sure that the baby does not get sun tanned.
With Special Thanks to all Moms:
Archanaa Mignet , Sunitha Raj, Poonam Saxena, Vanela Kohli, Nehal Roy, Sakina Saifee Katabjiwala, Jasbeer Nagi, Misha Bhattal, Pallavi Kocharekar Dabgotra, Pooja Goel Agarwal, Anjali Vartak, Payal Jain, Jayshree Banerjee, Alishaa Saim Jafrrey, Jyoti Acharya, Dishita Shah Vora, Hema Sharma Soin, Amrita Dhiman