This week Mommy, ‘Anamika Sinha’ shared her query about her two & half month old daughter who is losing hair and has started getting bald spots. She wanted to know how the reason and the cure for this situation.
We asked the parents on our SOS Mom Forum and here’s what they suggested:
- It is normal for little ones to shed hair when they are 2-4 months old as they tend to lie down in the same position. Once they start toddling they will learn to change positions while sleeping and this hair problem will not occur.
- Using a pillow stuffed with mustard seeds can help since it minimizes constant pressure from one position. It is popular in Nepal.
- Putting your little one on tummy for a few minutes will make her learn to move her head in all directions and she will move in her sleep. This way she will not lose hair and get bald patches. This method is absolutely safe when the baby’s stomach is not full. The baby must be under observation.
- This condition is normal unless you observe any redness in the scalp or flaking (cradle cap), in that case it is best to consult a doctor
- Home remedies such as virgin coconut oil, Aloevera can help.
- Often situations like this occur as a result of cradle cap which happens to 80 to 85% of newborns. If the scalp is flaky, a lot of hair will come out with the skin and this will get over by 7 months. After that new hair will grow.
- Many mothers have recommended SPOO shampoo. That has given them good results when prescribed by their doctors.
Bargavi Sriram, Shreeja Shree, Teenu Choudhary, Christina Harijan, Deepti Dora Rao, Shreya Mukhopadhyay, Nancy Deñola Khan, Sanjukta Bhadury Bishnu, Sanjukta Bhadury Bishnu, Hema Priya, Disha Kataria, Christina Harijan.