At FirstCry, we’ve always supported and shouted on and on about ‘Breast Is Best.’
As a mother, you’re all for your baby – whatever you do, whatever you plan is keeping in mind the best interests of your baby.
With everyone telling you about the benefits of breastfeeding, you probably are ready to do it for your baby as well. Of course exclusive breast feeding till the first 6 months of baby’s life is the best nutrition and the best gift you can give your child.
But other than the benefits for baby, breastfeeding also comes with lots of benefits for the mommy:
1. Lift up your mood: Many mothers experience post-natal depression, post-delivery blues and a general feeling of feeling low and dejected once they come back home with baby. Suddenly, life seems different, and you’re stuck with a little baby at home, not able to head out and have the fun you were used to earlier. Of course it’s a phase and it shall pass, but did you know that breastfeeding triggers the release of oxytocin, a ‘feel-good’ hormone that not only makes you feel ‘happy’ and calms you down, but also helps shrinking back the uterus to its natural size.
2. Stop piling up the kilos: While breastfeeding, you’re constantly feeling hungry and obviously need to eat right and healthy to give baby that nutrition and make sure your body has the right amount of nutrition for you too. But as long as you’re breastfeeding, you can be sure of not piling on those extra kilos – at least not to a large extent.
3. Convenient and easy on the go: For those mothers who breastfeed their baby exclusively for the first 6 months, it’s extremely easy to get up and go – literally! There’s nothing you really need to pack in terms of feeding baby, except maybe the feeding cloak, and anywhere you and baby are together, baby is sure to get the healthiest and most nutritional food – without any outside help.
4. Super-Bonding: Yes, it’s true – the time that you breastfeed your new baby is the time that’s going to be one of the most important times of your bonding with your tiny new one. The exclusive contact time and interaction between you and your baby is the first foundation of the strong connect that you two will share for years to a come.
5. Save the money: Admit it, the many equipments that come with breastfeeding cost quite a lot! So, as long as you’re breastfeeding baby, you can be sure to save up on that extra cash going out, and instead, treat yourself to something special later – just suggesting 😉
6. Good for your health: Did you know that breastfeeding significantly reduces your chances of contracting breast cancer, ovarian cancer, type 2 diabetes and postpartum depression (see point 1).
7. Heartily good: It’s a proven medical fact that breastfeeding reduces chances of a stroke and other heart related diseases.
8. More health benefits: Not only the above, but breastfeeding also reduces your chances of high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
9. Reduces chances of postpartum hemorrhage: This is self-explanatory mums.
10. Best for baby! Again, we know we don’t really need to stress much on this one, right? You already know it is!