- 1 cup mixed daal
- onion – finely chopped
- tomatoes – roughly chopped
- garlic – chopped
- tamarind paste (optional/adjustable as per child’s taste)
- 1tbsp jaggery (gur)
- 1/4th cup coriander leaves – finely chopped
- dhaniya powder
- haldi powder
- garam masala
- mustard seeds
- jeera seeds
- methi seeds
- pinch of heeng
How to make:
- Cook the daals in a pressure cooker. Set aside.
- In another pressure cooker, heat some oil and add mustard seeds.
- As they start to sputter, add methi and cumin seeds and heeng and fry till the seeds change to a deep brown.
- Add chopped onion and garlic and fry till golden brown.
- Mix chopped tomatoes, ginger and cook till tomatoes turn pulpy.
- Add dhaniya powder and turmeric powder and stir.
- Add about 3 1/2 – 4 cups water and increase heat. Add tamarind paste, jaggery and half of coriander leaves and boil.
- Add the daals and mix well. Close the pressure cooker to cook.
- Reduce flame to medium and cook for about 15-20 minutes or about 3-4 whistles.
- Turn off heat and set aside.
- Once the cooker steam is released, open and add some more water if you feel the daal is too thick.
- Switch on flame and add remaining coriander leaves, garam masala and salt (as per taste). Let it simmer for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Serve with white rice or butter rotis/naans
Recipe courtesy: monsoon recipe