*image courtesy Pinterest leahcookphotography
Mommy Jennifer was concerned about her baby’s skin during the summer heat. She asked, “Please give me tips to take care of my baby’s skin”.
Mommies and Daddies, we asked you for advice, and here’s what you came up with:
- Give baby massage using olive oil or slightly warm coconut oil and let your baby bask in the sun ( inside your house of course!)
- Add a few drops of olive oil into lukewarm water for baby’s bath.
- Never use water that is too hot or cold for baby’s bath.
- Avoid harsh soaps and shampoos, try gram flour powder instead.
- After every bath or clean up, pat your baby clean and dry (look for wetness in between layers of skin and folds like between toes and fingers and joints).
- Avoid chemical moisturizers, creams, body lotions and powders, try olive oil instead.
- Apply coconut oil on any heat rashes.
- Make your baby wear comfortable clothing preferably made of 100% breathable organic or bio cotton.
- Use a baby friendly sunscreen whenever you’re taking baby out in direct sun.
- Encourage drinking plenty water. For smaller babies, make sure you give them water at regular intervals.
- Feed plenty of fruits and liquid diet like fresh juice, milk shakes etc.
- Apply a baby powder after every bath
- Use clean baby wipes to wipe sweat
- Apply coconut water on your baby’s body. Leave it for 5 minutes then give baby a bath. This will make the skin rash-free and will help prevent prickly heat
- Keep baby moisturised with a proper baby lotion.
- Keep feeding on demand.
- Feed baby adequate amount of liquids.
- Before going to bed clean your baby with lukewarm water
- Keep the skin clean and well moisturized. Areas under skin folds, neck, underarms, behind the ears, back of the elbows and knees need special attention.
- Keep the baby well hydrated.
- If breastfeeding, give baby small and frequent feeds.
- For older kids, give lots of water, juices, buttermilk etc.
- Put on loose cotton clothes and change diapers frequently.
- Bathe your baby with curd or buttermilk. This will help soothe baby’s skin.
Special thanks to:
Rachana Pradeep, Aarti Vedpathak, Vasantha Karthic, Oyster Isshu, Preeti Vyas Parashar, Meetal Amish Shaurya, Reema HD, Akshaya Sampathkumar, Inderpreet Kaur, Priya Amit Batra
*the image has been sourced online and FirstCry holds no claim over copyright