Here’s what our mommies and daddies suggested on our SOS Forum on the FB page:
FirstCry Says: * While we do understand that most of these remedies were used at home by mommies, it’s better to keep in mind that what worked for other babies may not necessarily work in your baby’s case. As a mother, you will understand your baby best. So please choose wisely, and if there is no improvement, visit the doctor immediately.
- Boil water and add tulsi leaves, pepper, mint leaves, ginger, ajwain. Boil till water is reduced to half, strain and store it. Give this to baby thrice a day for 2-3 days, if required add honey and water to make it mild
- Take 1 basak (or Vasaka as per Ayurveda) leaf, little ajwain, 1-2 tulsi leaves and boil for approx 10-15 mins in water. Give this at bed time. It’s supper effective for cough cold and running nose.
- Give boiled water for some days
- Give a glass of milk with a pinch of turmeric and a pinch of pepper in the night before putting baby to sleep you can add some sugar
- Give a tsp of honey with a pinch of turmeric thrice a day
- A mix of ginger, black pepper and honey
- Crush some garlic cloves, heat mustard oil and drop garlic and some methi seeds. Heat them for 3-4 mins until the garlic burns. Seive it or not, use this oil to massage on chest, back and feet. Relieves alot.
- Give around 2 tsp of honey before sleeping, don’t give water or anything to eat after that
- A pinch of turmeric in honey 3 or 4 times a day
- When you boil milk for your baby, add 2 -3 black pepper seeds. This doesn’t change the taste of milk. This avoids cough formation
- Give a teaspoon of onion juice with sugar twice a day
- Honey plus ginger
- Mix grated jaiphal, honey and pinch of turmeric powder in lukewarm milk and give twice a day. If it’s dry cough put some pepper powder in lukewarm water along with honey.
- Give honey one teaspoon. Immediately give warm water. Also give tulsi.
- Take some jaggery and turmeric powder and make small ‘golis’ with them. Give 1 or 2 golis in 3-4 hrs’ gap. But don’t give water after giving the goli..
- If it’s severe congestion then medication is timely required – nebulizing the baby or using honey treatment. You can also give 5-10 drops of jaifal juice and massage the same on baby’s chest
- One teaspoon honey with a pinch of turmeric and half pinch salt mixed together. Give thirce a day and wait for half an hour and give lukewarm water to drink
- To avoid baby getting cough use misri (rock sugar) to mix to cow milk that will add sweetness to it. If you are giving baby extra food like ragi powder, when you add milk and make it’s paste add misri into it. This will prevent cough.
- Honey+black elayechi powder
- Mint leaves
- Heat 3 cloves. Make a fine powder and mix it with honey. Give this mixture to the baby 4-5 times in a day for 3-4 days.
- Take a small quantity of vicks in a spoon and keep it for heating for a few seconds. Apply the liquid form of vicks over the nose, ear, back, throat, chest, back and on the soles of feet at night before going to sleep.
Prerita Mehta, Shilpa Ajitsaria Sanei, Lakshmi Singh, Radhika Nikhal, Sakshi Malviya, Rashmi Agrawal, Farah Fairy, Richa R Chakraborty, Anu Madan Kapoor, Suma Herle, Deepika V Nagpal, Deepthi Bhagwan, Akhila Karthik, Priyanka Nishant, Yachna Malhotra, Sunil Gangwani, Priyanka Ramanan, Gauri Khairi Chaudhary, Inie Minie, Neha Kulkarni Chavan, Sofia Frederick